Digital technologies in architecture and planning
Digital technologies considerably expanded the potentials both of the design and planning process and also the fabrication of constructional components. Ever more complex tasks can be accomplished with them in the various sectors of architecture and planning. The use of digital technologies is therefore making an increasing and broad-based impact on architecture and on the run-up stage of regional planning. This necessitates thought processes and further development of changing work methods and new possibilities, generating a considerable need for research. The Faculty of Architecture and Planning at the TU Wien is facing up to these tasks that are so important for the development of architecture and planning; it is developing the application of digital documentation and analysis methods, also design and planning technologies, including in the following task areas:
- Development of generative and parametrical procedures for design development (Design Space Exploration).
- Development and creative testing of complex geometries.
- Development of models for dynamic optimisation of real estate and urban design
- Development of methods and of digital tools for dynamic simulation and visualisation in urban and regional planning.
- Development of parametrical electronic design and analysis tools for constructional research, also for urban and regional planning.
- Generation of three-dimensional, virtual and physical models for the documentation, analysis, reconstruction and visualisation of historical buildings and their components.
- Simulation of dimensions and parameters of building component behaviour pertaining to constructional physics